Wednesday 27 April 2011

Lost in translation: Slang - Welsh V English




When I came to university in England I realised how different and confusing slang could become. I feel I've almost grasped all of it now but I still get a dodgy look every now and again.




I've decided to compile a list of translations to show you lot how bloody confusing your life can become when you have lived in Wales most of your life.




I will include words and phrases which I thought were English but when I say them people look at me like I'm a witch.








Welsh -English




Scram- Scratch with malicious intent



Pile on- Bundle (?!)



Meathead -Hench



Butt -Pal/Mate/Chum



Nos Da - Night Night



Hwyl (H-oil) -Bye



Pam ? -Why?



Now in a minute -Soon



Yachi Da! -Cheers/bottoms-up/chink chink.



Ych-y-fi -Gross


Where to?- Where (the to has no use)



Bangen -Awesome



Steaming Weasels- Drunk skanks




I'm sure there's more and I will add them in due time.



That's all for now



Jojo xxx








2 comments:

  1. I think it is clear by reading this that you Welsh are the ones talking shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a little english WEASEl runt Smale. Don't be jeal of my cultured nature!

    ReplyDelete